Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lighting

We have been swapping out some of the light fixtures in the house these last few weeks. I have wanted a change, but can not believe how expensive new lights are. So, you know me! I had to improvise and figure out a way to get the change that I want at a fraction of the price.

First one up was the hanging fixture in our dining nook area. I didn't take a good before picture, so here it is when we first moved in. Not terrible, but not great either.

This is more of what I wanted. This one is from Ballard Design for $99.

So, I went to Home Depot and bought this light pendant for $16 in brushed oil bronze. I took off the u-shaped thing at the bottom and attached my own lamp shade from Ikea.

And this is what we ended up with. I love it!

The best part about it is that when I get bored of the lamp shade I can just buy and new one and swap it out. Total cost was $26! Woo-hoo!!!

Next up was our dining room chandelier. Still not bad but I am not a fan of the glass shades.

Here is a better picture of it at Christmas time. Just a little too structured for me.

I took a trip over to Lamps Plus and bought some chandelier shades in a cream linen and voila...new chandelier!

I love the look and feel of it now. And no, it isn't crooked, just my picture taking ability is.
Last up was the mud room which had the typical cheap light in it!

I found an outdoor light that I just love at Lowes for only $30. I was told that it is fine to use outdoor lights inside, so here she is!
Those are my new updates on the house. What do ya think?

I have more stuff that I am finishing up this week, so I will post pics soon!

No comments: